Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Simatai Great Wall

 The Simatai section of the Great Wall is about 75 miles northeast of Beijing. This area is known for the majestic views and steep terrain. My first trip there was in 1999 when it had limited development for tourism. At that time you could walk as far as you dared. The picture on the top of the blog is from that trip and is a section that we decided was too narrow and too steep -with sheer drops of several hundred feet -  to continue. 

The last time I was there was in 2009 (my third trip there) and tourists were not allowed to go past a certain point. I was glad I had been there years before and had been able to go farther. The pictures below are from my last trip there. A misty, lightly rainy day. Any section of the Great Wall is wonderful to see but this is one section that I would like to return to someday.






You can find my original post on Simatai in the post dated August 30, 2009


No comments: